Outcomes

At Northern Care a high priority is placed on achieving positive outcomes for children. We are proud that the children and young people in our care achieve excellent results.

Our annual performance indicators provide us with information regarding our service delivery, which allows us to monitor our contribution to achieving the expected Outcomes for children. The collection of reliable information is a priority, as it provides us with the opportunity to assess the life chances of the children in our care.

We also provide outcome reports for Local Authorities who place with us. We think it is important to be able to demonstrate additional “soft” outcomes, which we believe are often the ones which make a real difference.

The Every Child Matters Five Outcomes

1. Being Healthy

"95% of young people in placement at Northern Care for 12 months or more have an Annual Health Assessment in place, compared to the national average of 84%."

In line with the Children Act 1989, Children Act 2004 and Care Standards Act 2000, we provide services that ensure young people are delivered a standard of care that supports a healthy lifestyle. Children are encouraged to take responsibility for their own health and well-being; supported and guided by staff. In achieving positive outcomes for young people, our policy and direct practice uphold the principles of ensuring they are:

• Physically healthy

• Mentally and emotionally healthy

• Sexually healthy

• Safe and know how to keep themselves safe

• Educated and informed about leading healthy lifestyles and are aware of the risks from smoking, drugs, substance and alcohol misuse, underage sexual activity and infections

• Aware of the need for personal hygiene

 

2. Staying Safe

"On 31st March 2011 93% of children in placement at Northern Care had contact or reinstated contact with their family throughout the year and the other 7% had alternative arrangements in place"

In response to the Children Act 2004 and Working Together to Safeguard Children 2006, we remain committed to practices in both recruitment and care which protect children and young people from harm. Our staff know how to recognise the signs of abuse or neglect, have a full understanding about the thresholds that apply to child protection and know who to refer concerns or child protection issues to. Local Authorities are always impressed by the stability performance outcomes for the children and young people we look after.

 

3. Enjoying and Achieving

"99% of children excluded from education prior to admission are now in receipt of education"

Our aim is to make everyone aware of the things children and young people need to help them to be happy, successful, healthy and safe; actively encouraging learning and development.

 

4. Making a Positive Contribution

"100% of our children and young people are consulted about the running of the home they live in on a weekly basis"

We ensure children, young people and their families are involved in the development and running of the homes. Not only do we accept the principle of children’s involvement, it can be seen in practice through a variety of participation and consultation activities within and outside of the home and school environment.

Our aim is to assist children and young people to successfully deal with significant changes and challenges, develop enterprising behaviour, develop positive relationships and display positive behaviour.

With staff as role models, children and young people learn how to behave towards each other and within the local community in a non-discriminative way. They are encouraged to understand the range of cultures and beliefs that exist within the home, and in the local and wider communities.

 

5. Achieving Economic Well-Being

"100% of children and young people aged 16 years and over and in placement on 31st March 2011 had a Pathway Plan in place that had been formulated in partnership with the placing authority"

Our social care and educational staff work together to deliver a programme of independence training that is monitored and, therefore, measurable.

Young people are fully supported and encouraged to look to their future positively through day-to-day conversations, key worker sessions and young people's meetings.

Through pathway planning children and young people are supported in undertaking a variety of life skills training courses and to look at choices in employment and career prospects in line with the Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 and the Children Act 2004.

Back to Values

  • abouttop
  • aboutmid